Friday, December 16, 2011

Goodbye El Salvador, I never really got to know you.

January departure for El Salvador has been cancelled due to rising security concerns. I have to admit that I was a little concerned with all that I have been hearing about El Salvador lately but just kept thinking that if it was really dangerous then the Peace Corps wouldn't be sending us there. Well, I guess it has gotten to that point. It is a bit of a bummer since it has gotten so close to the departure date and I have already begun my goodbyes... "Just kidding everyone!" We are to expect the unexpected with the Peace Corps and since I went in with that mindset I am not devastated by this decision. I can make myself useful wherever I am sent, I am just crossing my fingers that I still get to improve my spanish wherever that is. Plus, I love pupusas too much and probably would have gained 30 pounds there anyway.

2 comments:

  1. I have recently been assigned to a NFP organization operating out of San Miguel, El Salvador, and I'm supposed to leave at the end of January. Would you mind sharing what rising security concerns you're referring to, and why Peace Corps has decided not to send you? Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  2. They did not give specifics, but there has been more violence. If you ever watch spanish speaking news then you would hear more about it. They haven't removed anyone that is in country so I'm assuming things haven't gotten too dangerous for those volunteers. Incoming volunteers to Guatemala and Honduras have also cancelled. I heard of one volunteer being shot in Honduras. Peace Corps has been stricter with security issues lately.

    ReplyDelete