Thursday, March 22, 2012

This isn't your father's Peace Corps...


A lot of us, when we start the Peace Corps application, imagine ourselves eventually living in difficult conditions where we have to gather water and carry it home to take a cold bucket bath or find ways to adjust living in a mud hut with no electricity. That is not the case here in Jamaica, and in a lot of countries now. Some do end up in places like that, but it's becoming more and more common to go to areas that have running water, electricity, internet and maybe even cable. Right now the 36 of us are in a more developed area, think middle class suburban, for 2 weeks where we have all of those amenities I mentioned. Here, I not only have running water but hot running water, a washing machine (although we are supposed learn to wash by hand) a screen on my window (no wonder I'm being bit up less than some of the others) and reliable internet (not everyone here has that though). Things will be a bit different when the sectors split up and the 12 of us in Green Initiative go to Woodford and then I don't know where on the island I will be placed to serve for 2 years. I can say with confidence that wherever I end up it won't have everything I have here. Even if  I could have the chance to have everything there is no way I could afford it on my volunteer budget.

When El Salvador got cancelled and I got Jamaica as my new placement I was a little bummed. Well, a little more than just a little but I did my best not to let it show and to stay positive about it. There are a few of us who did not have Jamaica as a first choice but ended up here because of cancellations or medical reasons. I can't speak for everyone one else, but after being here about a week I am really happy that I ended up here. Although we don't and most likely won't have the hardships that we were looking forward to when we started our application ( I understand that might sound strange to some) there are a lot of great things we can do with people here. I know I am still in a bubble right now though and that things will get more difficult, but I'll take it as it comes and right now I will enjoy the good days.

No comments:

Post a Comment